I’m not buying in to those “We Can Know” billboards

About two weeks ago, I began seeing billboards around Phoenix urging people to save the date because the return of Christ (and the rapture) will take place on May 21 – just 12 days from now. Dig into the We Can Know website, and you’ll see a second prediction that the earth will be destroyed on Oct. 21.

I’m not much for betting, but I’ll bet $1,000 that come 12:01 a.m. May 22, the “We Can Knowers” will be admitting they were wrong. (By the way, I’m not sure what time zone is being used, but regardless, I believe they’ll be proved wrong.) It seems like a good bet for both them and me. They’re sure they’re right, so they shouldn’t worry about having to pay up. If I’m wrong, they won’t be around to collect.

I grew up in a Lutheran tradition (grade school, high school and college) that stayed far away from teachings like the rapture and dispensationalism (the idea that God will be relating to people in different ways under different covenants at different times in the future). I learned that Christianity isn’t about focusing on the “end times” and who will be going to heaven and hell. I was told that we shouldn’t worry about the end times; the God who told the story about the Good Shepherd who went after one lost sheep when he had 99 in the fold will do everything he can to make sure as many people as possible will be with him.

I believe Christianity is primarily about redemption and transformation – letting the Spirit of God work in your life to make you more like Christ each day. We’ll never be Christ, we’re not meant to be God, but we are moving toward becoming the perfect humans we were created, in the image of God, to be. We’re meant to be growing in our ability to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God (in the words of Micah 6:8). I believe in an afterlife, I believe in heaven, and I think we’ll be perfected there. Meantime, we need to be yielding to and cooperating with the Spirit to help the transformation happen.

So, if things are more or less the same on May 22 as they are today, I won’t be looking to make fun of anyone. Instead, I hope that people will focus more on what they can do in the here and now and let the end times take care of themselves.

What do you think?

This entry was posted in Religion and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to I’m not buying in to those “We Can Know” billboards

1. JMattHicks says:

I’ve grown up in the Church of Christ, all 24 years of my life from Sunday Morning Bible Class to graduating from a Church of Christ-affiliated university, have been spent in the church, in the scriptures, and trying to live as faithfully as possible through my triumphs and my failures.

Let me just say, in 100% confidence, these people have NO IDEA when Jesus is coming back and they will be SORELY disappointed and embarrassed in two weeks. If they claim to be just SO informed, they’d know that not even Jesus Christ himself knows the day that God has appointed for the judgement of the world: Matthew 24:36 reads, “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Oh right, Christ himself doesn’t know but YOU do? Oh okay right, that makes PERFECT sense.

These people frustrate me not only because they are in blatant error with the scriptures but because many, many Christians already receive enough undeserving flack as it is for being filled with hate, being ignorant, and believing in fairy tales. This will only further propagate that stereotype.

Thus, people like this just give those opposed to religion (although ignorant to true Christianity) even MORE fuel on the fire to eliminate Christianity altogether from the USA…even the world. People like these and those fanatics at that “church” in Kansas picketing solider’s funerals and holding signs full of extremely unchristian slurs and ideals make those who are TRUE Christians abiding by TRUE Biblical principals appear just as out-there as they are. And that’s simply not the case and it frustrates me to no end that people so willing pervert the Gospel and thus set true, Biblically based and accurate Christianity back even further and each every time they open their mouths.

I’m not buying it either, and neither should any other person on the planet.

/rant

2. PeterFaur says:

I like the way you think, Jeremy! Thanks. @JMattHicks

3. sm7x7 says:

Look here.

Harold Camping’s words:”For the unbelievers, the moment they die, <b>they will never again have conscious existence</b>. That is something that churches have never taught. They have never understood. They thought the Bible said they would go to Hell and be punished there forever as a result of their sins. The Bible says that the wages of sin is death, and <b>the word Hell is actually a synonym for the grave.</b>”WORD OF GOD – THE BIBLE:”And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”(Rev.20:15)”And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.”(Rev.20:14)”And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and <b>shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.</b>” (Rev.20:10)Now, “be tormented day and night for ever and ever” having no “conscious existence”?? Not in hell but in “grave”?? ISN’T IT PERVERTING OF THE WORD OF GOD BY H.C.??Decide for yourselves.

4. sm7x7 says:

Look here closely.

Harold Camping’s words:

“For the unbelievers, the moment they die, they will never again have conscious existence. That is something that churches have never taught. They have never understood. They thought the Bible said they would go to Hell and be punished there forever as a result of their sins. The Bible says that the wages of sin is death, and the word Hell is actually a synonym for the grave.

“WORD OF GOD – THE BIBLE:

“And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”(Rev.20:15)

“And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.”(Rev.20:14)

“And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.” (Rev.20:10)

ISN’T IT PERVERTING OF THE WORD OF GOD BY H.C.??

Decide for yourselves.

5. sm7x7 says:

ONE MORE DANGER.

One of Camping’s books is called The End of the Church Age and After. The main idea of it is that “all contemporary churches are from Satan and Christians should worship in their own homes without benefit of clergy, baptism, communion, or church structure — but with their radio dials locked on his Family Radio network.”

THE WORD OF GOD – THE BIBLE:

Jesus Christ tells His disciples that “upon this rock (contextually – on Jesus Christ Himself – Efes.2:20, 1Pet.2:6)I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.(Mt.16:18)

HERE IS THE DANGER – BLASPHEMY ON HOLY SPIRIT!

Same sin Pharisees were guilty in telling that Jesus Christ did His miracles and other work by power of Beelzebub!

HERE’S GOD’S VERDICT TO THOSE PEOPLE:

“Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Mt.12:31,32)

NEVER, I REPEAT – NEVER!!! SHALL ANYONE DARE TO SAY THAT THE CHURCH BORN AND CONDUCTED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT IS “from satan”! THIS IS BLASPHEMY ON HOLY SPIRIT ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE!

Well, Mr. Harold Camping and his followers still have time to live and therefore MAY HAVE BEEN under the Lord’s mercy to repent and to be forgiven. Judas Iscariot denied this opportunity. How about you, Mr. Harold Camping?

6. PeterFaur says:

Thanks for your comments, Sergey. @sm7x7

7. Pingback: I’m still here. How about you?