Study guides for Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s The Cost of Discipleship

Bonhoeffer(Thanks for coming by, and click here to learn more about my new novel, Red Metal.)

I just finished leading a class at my congregation on Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s book, The Cost of Discipleship. Bonhoeffer was the German Lutheran theologian who became involved in resisting the Nazis in World War II. He was part of a group that tried unsuccessfully to assassinate Hitler. Two weeks before the end of the war, as one of his last acts, Hitler had Bonhoeffer and his fellow conspirators executed. Bonhoeffer himself was hanged in April 1945.

If you’re interested in reading the book, you might find the following materials useful. Please feel free to download any or all of them. The page numbers indicate where material is drawn from the Simon and Schuster Touchstone edition of the book. Click on the image below if you’d like to order a copy.

Life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer – PowerPoint presentation

The Cost of Discipleship week 2 – Introductory material through Chapter 1

The Cost of Discipleship week 3 – Chapters 2-5

The Cost of Discipleship week 4 – Chapters 6-13

The Cost of Discipleship week 5 – Chapters 14-20

The Cost of Discipleship week 6 – Chapters 21-29

The Cost of Discipleship week 7 – Chapters 30-32

This entry was posted in Religion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Study guides for Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s The Cost of Discipleship

1. Ray Colon says:

Hi Pete,

Bonhoeffer was unknown to me, so the PowerPoint was a good introduction. His belief in speaking for others who cannot speak for themselves is something that I’ve always believe. I’ve written about how political movements, like civil rights, needed others who were outside of the movement to join in to succeed. There are many other examples.

2. Craig Phillips says:

Thank you for the powerpoint! I am leading a study of the book after reading Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. Thanks for sharing!

3. Sunil Peter says:

Thank you very much brother.

4. Anne says:

My friend and I are going to use your study guide as we read the book together. Thank you for sharing!

5. Kendall Koenig says:

Peter,

Thanks for sharing this great powerpoint for a class on Bonhoeffer. I found it a month ago and will be using it to teach a class over the next four weeks. Lots of work went into this and what a great way to expand your effort to greater Kingdom effect.

6. James Shelton says:

Thank you for this wonderful study guide. I will be leading a small group through Cost of Discipleship in September and October in the church where I pastor. Blessings to you, Js

7. Jennifer Hurley says:

A minister mentioned this book. In researching, I located your outline. Thank you so much. I’m not too much on reading, I’d prefer the class or video, but this outline solves that for me. Breaks the ice and gets me in the water so to say!!! Appreciate the time and effort of sharing with us.

8. Dan Claire says:

Excellent, timely resources. Thank you, Peter!

9. Peter Waugh says:

I study Dietrich Bonhoeffer and absorb anything I can find concerning His Theological teachings. I then pass all my findings onto a Student who is studying into the Ministery so that He can then come to realize Dietrich Bonhoeffers valuable insight and worth.

10. Peter Waugh says:

Sorry, forgot to add that Your work is a valuable asset to understand for someone to see deeper into Dietrich Bonhoeffer.